Strawberry Pie Bars
One of my mother's favorite recipes is for miniature cherry pies. Over the years it's also become a fan-favorite and someone requests it at almost every holiday party. It's delicious, but I've recently been experimenting and trying to make a version of my own. I prefer strawberries to cherries, and I also wanted to avoid having to use the miniature pie crusts which are expensive to buy and a pain to make yourself. This is what I've come up with: Strawberry Pie Bars.
-3 cups flour (all-purpose)
-1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
~ approx. 20 oz strawberry pie filling
1. Grease a 13x9 pan and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Go slowly because it likes to puff up into a cloud if you go to fast.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until it's fluffy. (I used my stand mixer.) Add eggs one at a time, and then add vanilla extract. Finish by slowly adding in the flour mixture.
4. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the bottom of the 13x9 pan. Spread it out evenly with a spoon and press down gently to create a crust. Add the strawberry filling on top and smooth it around. Finally, drop small spoonfuls of the remaining dough across the surface of the strawberries. This will help to give the bars the marbled cake and strawberry look.
5. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the dough on top has baked fully and begins to turn golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before attempting to cut. (If you don't, it'll get messy.)