Strawberry and Cream Cake
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and I love finding ways to bake them into things. It won't be long before they're in season and I have them in abundance, so I've been collecting recipes that can put them to good use. Here's one of my favorites:
Strawberries and Cream Cake
Ingredients for Cake:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice (I usually just use a small lemon)
pinch of lemon zest
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, soft
8oz plain Greek yogurt
1-2 cups fresh, diced strawberries
Approx. 2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325. Grease your bundt pan well.
2. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
3. Using an electric or stand mixer, blend butter and sugar until fluffy. On low speed at one egg at a time, followed by the lemon juice.
4. Slowly add the yogurt, and then add the flour mixture. Add strawberries last, gently stirring them in.
5. Pour batter into your bundt pan. (Thickness of the batter will differ depending on your choice of yogurt and the ripeness/juiciness of the strawberries. The cake turns out well whether the batter is thicker or thinner though.) Bake for 45 minutes. The cake is done when you can insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool INSIDE the pan for 15 minutes or so. If you skip this step, the cake might crack and break apart. After 15 minutes, remove it from the pan and let it cool completely before pouring on the icing.
Place the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Slowly add lemon, a little at a time, stirring with a spoon. Keep doing this until it reaches desired consistency. It can easily get too runny. If this happens add another tablespoon of powdered sugar to thicken. Drizzle generously over the top of the cake.